The 16th Nakshatra, i.e. Vishakha Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Vishakha Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Vishakha Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – Vishakha Nakshatra falls within 20.00 degree of Libra to 3.20 degree of Scorpio. So, Vishakha Nakshatra spreads from Libra to Scorpio and will keep the significance of both the signs.
Name and its meaning – Vishakha can be split as Vi + Shakha. Shakha means Branch and Vi means opposite. So, its literal meaning is two branches in opposite direction. In some texts, it is given an alternate name of Radha which is given meaning as The Delightful.
Representation – Its main symbol is Forked Branches as per its name. Its another symbol is a Victory-Arch.
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Vishakha Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 5th, 33rd, 37th, 39th, 43rd, 48th, 49th, 57th, 60th, 66th, 82nd and 89th year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – Vishakha is ruled by Indra & Agni. Indra is God of Rains and Agni is God of Fire. Vishakha's lord is Jupiter. In Libra section, Venus rules it whereas in Scorpio section, Mars-Ketu rules it. .
Mythological Story – The main mythological story attached with Vishakha is the love story of Radha-Krishna. That's why, it is given Radha as an alternate name. Now, it is no ordinary love. Radha was in love of divine and her love was more a penance. From the beginning, she knew that her love towards Krishna doesn't make any sense to the world as she was already married to Anay but more than love based on desires, it was love based on devotion. She was devoted to Krishna in this selfless love.
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Vishakha Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Vishakha Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- In many ways, Vishakha is unique nakshatra. 1st of all, it is the only nakshatra which has 1 exaltation degree and 1 debilitation degree. Saturn gets exalted at the starting 20 degrees of Vishakha in Libra sign and Moon gets debilitated at the last 3 degrees of Vishakha in Scorpio sign.
- The name and representation of Forked Branches show that this nakshatra brings two different direction to anything that is attached to it. Like, if ascendant nakshatra is Vishakha, person can have completely two different life path. Like in early life, he may be a Lawyer and from 30s, he may become an Astrologer :). So, it gives two different paths which have no connection with each other.
- If any relationship oriented planet is in Vishakha Nakshatra then similar split can be seen in their relationship life.
- As it becomes part of initial Scorpio degree where Scorpio energy is at the highest peak, it brings lots of changes in life. These changes of life bring lots of wisdom to the person.
- And that's where lordship of Jupiter takes place and these people become great counselors or advisers to others. They are seen as natural advisers who have counsel for almost any problem of life.
- In Libra section, they are more a counselor as a Diplomat or Lawyer but in Scorpio section, they are more an occult counselor.
- The other symbol of Victory Arch shows them as very ambitious and determined to achieve high in this life. They will continue to persevere till they don't achieve their goal.
- Also, as Vishakha is coming after Swati where person independently fights against all obstacles of life, this nakshatra is very much symbolic of him getting victory and being welcomed or honored by people through Victory Arch. Hence, it is also nakshatra of achievements.
- The story of Radha-Krishna or the alternate name of Radha shows them as the most devoted lovers. When they get into love, they do so for no selfish reason and they remain devoted towards their lover throughout. In this day and age, it can also be seen as blind trust on someone but this is what their nature is.
- Not only love, but they remain devoted towards anything they choose as their goal or ambition.
- It also makes person inclined towards spirituality as when you go through so many changes in life, then you are bound to accept that someone else is running the show. So, they get inclined to know as to who is running the show?
Conclusion – So, this is some basic information and interpretation of Vishakha Nakshatra.
Hope this helps. Please post any comment or query you may have.
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer