Before starting with Mercury's aspect articles, I just wanted to cover this request from a client/friend about Ishta-Devata in Astrology and how we can find Ishta-Devata from Horoscope?
Let's cover this small yet very important topic on following points -
1. Concept of Ishta-Devta.
2. Finding Atma Karaka.
3. Placement of Atma-Karaka in D-9.
4. 12th house from Atma-Karaka's placement in D-9.
5. Ishta-Devata for each planets.
Let's cover all these points one after the other -
1. Concept of Ishta-Devta - As we have different Gods/Goddesses and their incarnations to worship, Ishta-Devata is also one of them. It is generally misunderstood as Kul-Devata but it is completely different. Kul-Devata is one and only one for the whole family and for all generations in that family. Ishta-Devata is one specific God for an individual. Ishta means Cherished or Favored and Devata means God. So, as per name, it suggests that Ishta-Devta is the most favored or important God for an individual worshiping whom can be extra beneficial.
2. Finding Atma Karaka - First of all, we need to find Atma Karaka in birth chart. Atma Karaka is planet which has the highest degrees in birth chart, except Rahu & Ketu. So, from Sun to Saturn, whichever planet has the highest degree is Atma Karaka to person.
3. Placement of Atma-Karaka in D-9 - Then we need to check where that Atma Karaka planet is placed in D-9 chart. Why D-9 only? Because D-9 is expansion of 9th house of chart, which is house of Religion & God. Also, D-9 shows our Righteous (Dharmic) Path of Life. So, we need to check in which house/sign Atma-Karaka is placed. Once we find that, then we can move to next step.
4. 12th house from Atma-Karaka's placement in D-9 - After finding house/sign position of Atma Karaka in D-9, we need to see the 12th house from the house Atma Karaka is placed in D-9. Like if Atma Karaka is Sun and it is in Cancer sign in D-9, then we have to see 12th house from Cancer, i.e. Gemini. Now, follow these rules to find Ishta-Devta -
- If there is a planet in the 12th house from Atma karaka in D-9, God related with that planet becomes the Ishta Devata.
- If there are more planets than one in the 12th house from Atma karaka in D-9, we choose the planet which is strongest in Dignity, i.e. Exalted/Mool Trikon/Own/Friendly/Neutral/Enemy/Debilitated sign. God related with that planet becomes the Ishta Devata.
- If there is no planet in the 12th house from Atma karaka in D-9, we can see whether any planet is aspecting the 12th house from Atma karaka in D-9. If yes, then God related with that planet becomes the Ishta Devata.
- If no planet aspects it, we can take the Lord of 12th house from Atma karaka in D-9 as Ishta Devata.
5. Ishta-Devata for each planets - Finally, after finding the planet as discussed, we should know that which planet is related to which God to finally find out Ishta Devata. So, here it is -
Mars– Hanuman/Subramanya/Sri Narasimha
Jupiter– Vishnu/Sri Vamana/Dattatreya/Sai Baba
Venus– Maha Lakshmi/Parashurama/Maa Gouri
Saturn– Shani Dev/Hanuman/Kurma/Shiva/Vishnu
Finally, I remain of opinion that one should always worship or pray to God to be thankful, not to ask for anything. Whatever is necessary for life, will always be given and if something is not necessary for life, then why we should waste our time thinking about it.
Hope this helps. Please feel free to post comments and queries, if any.
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer
Website - www.astrosaxena.com
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/astrovishalsaxena/
Twitter Page - https://twitter.com/astrovsaxena
Mob - 7207658536