The 5th Nakshatra, i.e. Mrigshira Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Mrigshira Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Mrigshira Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – Mrigshira Nakshatra falls between 23.20 degree of Taurus to 6.40 degree of Gemini. As such, it spreads between 2 signs, i.e. from Taurus to Gemini. Not only that, it spreads equally in both signs, i.e. 6.40 degree in Taurus and 6.40 degree in Gemini. So, it will have impact of both the signs on its functioning.
Name and its meaning – We need to split the word Mrigshira as Mrig + Shira to easily understand its meaning. Mrig means Deer and Shira means Head. So, Mrigshira means Deer's Head. Through mythological story, we will understand better as to why this nakshatra got this name?
Representation - Obviously, its main representation or picture/symbol is a Deer. At some places, Dear's Head is used as a symbol too.
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Mrigshira Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 4th, 8th, 17th, 25th, 34th, 46th, 50th, 65th, 73rd and 79th year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – Main deity of Mrigshira Nakshatra is Moon or God Soma. Nakshatra Lord is Mars. The Taurus portion of this nakshatra will be ruled by Venus and Gemini portion of this nakshatra will be ruled by Mercury. So in the end, we need to see the dignity of Mars-Venus (for Taurus-Mrigshira) or Mars-Mercury (for Gemini-Mrigshira) to interpret any planet in Mrigshira .
Mythological Story – In the introduction article on nakshatra, I said that all the nakshatras come in a series. Here, we will get the 1st glimpse of that as the story of Mrigshira starts where story of last nakshatra Rohini ends. In Rohini, we have seen how Lord Brahma got attracted or infatuated towards his own daughter Rohini and advanced to have an act of incest to create people in this Universe as beautiful as Rohini. Seeing that, Rohini got scared and ran away. Brahma to stealthily chase her, took the form of a Deer. And here, he was searching for Rohini through Deer's Head, i.e. Mrigshira.
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Mrigshira Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Mrigshira Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- As this nakshatra has very close association with Deer, all the traits of a Deer become traits of this nakshatra like fragility, fickleness, quick movement, alertness, always on the move etc.
- Deer's Head main job is search. A Deer's head is always looking for something. So, research and investigation becomes a very important trait of this nakshatra.
- Here, we can add story of Kasturi Deer who is searching for the fragrance in the forest only to realize that it is coming from within itself. Likewise, Mrigshira person can search for happiness in the world only to realize that real happiness is within self.
- As Brahma chased and took the form of Deer, in its lower representation, this nakshatra represents stalking and chasing.
- As Brahma tried to take cover under Deer's Skin or Body, these people can be seen as illusive characters who can be very secretive about themselves and in this age of social media, they can keep fake profiles to hide themselves.
- As desire of having Sex is again the base of this story, these people are very sexual by nature.
- In Gemini section of this nakshatra, these people can be fond of travelling from here to there like a Deer.
- They can also have lots of hobbies and interests as they are continuously searching for happiness and thinking that their next interest may bring them true happiness.
- In Taurus section of Mrigshira, these people like to get security and safety through all these actions. But in Gemini section, they are more playful and enjoying life through same actions.
- In Gemini section, they can be business oriented and can convert their interests into business.
- In matters of relation, they can travel from one partner to another in the search for same happiness.
- Now, none of these activities are Mars related yet Mars is Mrigshira's lord. Here, Mars is expressing itself in one of its lower/lesser representation of Sex and Passion. Incest can be part of this nakshatra's representation too.
Conclusion – So, this is some basic information and interpretation of Mrigshira Nakshatra.
Hope this helps. Please post any comment or query you may have.
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/astrovishalsaxena/ .
Twitter Page - https://twitter.com/astrovsaxena .