The Fourth Nakshatra, i.e. Rohini Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Rohini Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Rohini Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – Rohini Nakshatra is between 10 degree of Taurus to 23.20 degree of Taurus. So, all of Rohini Nakshatra is within Taurus sign. Hence, it takes some of Taurus traits too.
Name and its meaning – The word Rohini is the base word for word Aarohan which means Moving Forward. Hence, its literal translation is "Growing One".
Representation – The main representation of this nakshatra is a Chariot and its Charioteer. In some places, it is represented by Bull-Cart or Ox-Cart as Taurus is represented by a Bull.
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Rohini Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 3rd, 11th, 24th, 29th, 36th, 63rd, 72nd, 83rd and 84th year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – Deity of Rohini Nakshatra is Lord Brahma. Rohini Nakshatra Lord is Moon. As it falls within Taurus sign, its sign lord is Venus.
Mythological Story – There are 2 stories connected with Rohini Nakshatra which speak a lot about nature of this nakshatra -
- As I told in introduction article that all these 27 Nakshatras were actually 27 Sisters who were married to Moon. Now at one time, Moon was totally possessed by the beauty of Rohini and he used to ignore other wives. This made them feel jealous about Rohini. We will deal with remaining story with Jyeshtha Nakshatra.
- Then there is a story where Rohini is daughter of Lord Brahma and she was the most beautiful celestial lady. Now, when Lord Brahma thought of creating Universe and life here, he wanted to create people as beautiful as Rohini. For that to happen, there was only one way possible that Lord Brahma has incest with Rohini. Although Brahma tried to do that but was stopped in his actions by Lord Shiva which we will again see in story of Ardra Nakshatra.
- Now, as this story looks very immoral or controversial type of, there are various interpretations to it. Some say that when Brahma wanted to create people as beautiful as Rohini then there was only one way that Brahma has to have sex with Rohini and then only such beautiful people can be created. Hence, Brahma tried to have incest with Rohini. Osho Rajneesh says that whole story is symbolic and the symbolism or message here is that if you are creative and have a desire to create something beautiful then you should go any limit to follow those creative pursuits.
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Rohini Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Rohini Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- As Rohini falls completely within Taurus sign, material wealth and luxuries are Rohini's primary representation.
- And this is why Moon, although exalted in Krittika, feels best in Rohini because Rohini is mix of both wealth and beauty. And our mind naturally gets attracted to these 2 things.
- Rohini is also the nakshatra of security, safety and stability. So, when Rohini is prominent in chart then person can be all about hoarding wealth, luxuries and conveniences as it makes him feel secured.
- And this security or I should say feeling of insecurity comes in matters of relationship too as person becomes possessive of partner as Moon was possessive of Rohini.
- Due to the same story, person becomes jealous too when he feels that his partner is paying attention to others. Actually, when relationship planets are in Rohini, person feels that his partner can be happy with him only and when he sees the partner happy with others, even with friends or other relatives, he feels jealous or insecured.
- Then it is nakshatra of great creativity as the deity himself is creator.
- They can follow their creative pursuits at any level.
- Actually, Moon in Krittika in Taurus and Moon in Rohini in Taurus can be seen as most stable and balanced mind as mind gets the support of exaltation, base of Earth sign and all the luxuries of Taurus sign. Only time they feel imbalanced or restless is when they don't have enough resources at disposal.
- As Rohini is represented by Chariot or Chariot Driver, it shows someone who is always moving ahead towards his target or goal. Remember the literal meaning of Rohini as "Growing One"? So, this person is always looking to grow or move ahead. Hence, they are very ambitious.
- Normally, they are seen as business people because in business only you move or grow from one target to another.
- Due to same symbolism of Chariot, this nakshatra can also be seen as nakshatra of Travelling, Communications and carrying things/people from one place to another.
- Only drawback with this nakshatra is that it can make person too greedy or kind of miser.
- Finally, the story of incest also holds its ground and many a times people with relationship oriented planets in Rohini are seen having incest actions or incest desires.
Everything is in addition.
Conclusion – So, this is some basic information and interpretation of Rohini Nakshatra.
Hope this helps. Please post any comment or query you may have.
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/astrovishalsaxena/ .
Twitter Page - https://twitter.com/astrovsaxena .