The 7th Nakshatra, i.e. Punarvasu Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Punarvasu Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Punarvasu Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – Punarvasu Nakshatra falls within 20 degree of Gemini to 3.20 degree of Cancer. So, this nakshatra spreads from Gemini to Cancer. During interpretation it is necessary to see that planets are in Gemini part of Punarvasu or Cancer part of Punarvasu. Still, as majority of portion falls in Gemini, the Gemini traits will be more visible on this nakshatra.
Name and its meaning – The word Punarvasu means "The Return of the Light" or "Return of the Hope". Other meanings of Punarvasu are "Good Again", "Wealthy Again" or "Becoming Vasu Again".
Representation - Its main symbol is Arrow or Quiver of Arrow. Its pictorial representation is a Home or an Archer shooting arrows and those arrows coming back into his quiver.
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Punarvasu Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 30th, 31st, 39th, 40th, 66th, 70th, 84th, 86th and 89th year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – The main presiding deity of Punarvasu Nakshatra is Aditi, the mother of 12 Adityas. Punarvasu's lord is Jupiter. Gemini's lord is Mercury. Cancer's lord is Moon. So, if a planet is in Gemini portion of Punarvasu then we need to check Jupiter-Mercury position and if a planet is in Cancer portion of Punarvasu then we need to check Jupiter-Moon position.
Mythological Story – Again, Punarvasu begins where Ardra ends. Rudra shot his Weapon/Arrow at Brahma which made him unconscious. Now, the arrow comes back at Rudra, the symbolism of Punarvasu. The storms and chaotic events of Ardra are now calming down and it is now time to have some sanity restored. Punarvasu is about giving a second chance to someone to improve himself or correct his mistake and restoring the peace, hope and divinity.
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Punarvasu Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Punarvasu Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- Punarvasu's most common representation can be seen in rehabilitation activities. The times when a person or whole of humanity goes through some traumatic events and then tries level best to recover to normalcy are seen from Punarvasu.
- Its literal meaning of "Return of the Hope" very much symbolizes of return of good times for someone after going through sufferings and trauma.
- If Punarvasu is prominent then these people can be seen as healers, either medical or spiritual.
- It is very much connected with recovery and rehabilitation time one goes through after illness.
- The symbol of quiver of arrows is about feeling safe and secured as we feel safe when we have enough means to protect ourselves.
- This nakshatra very much represents the concept that nothing lasts forever and after every dark night there is return of the light. As they say, Deeper the Darkness, Nearer is the Dawn.
- The alternate representation of home is also a symbol or security and safety as we feel most safe when we are at home.
- Punarvasu is ruled by Jupiter and all the nakshatras ruled by Jupiter will have its common trait of knowledge, wisdom, guidance and teaching. In Punarvasu, it shows someone as a counselor who helps people in recovering from trauma.
- In Gemini section, it is more about counselling people to improve on themselves whereas in Cancer section it is about taking care or nourishing people and helping them to improve.
- Any activity of recovery, rehabilitation, rejuvenation or realization is seen from this nakshatra where person thinks about improving from his past actions.
- In a way, this nakshatra provides the 2nd chance to individual to correct his mistakes.
- Finally, Archery is still one of the activities represented by Punarvasu.
Conclusion – So, this is some basic information and interpretation of Punarvasu Nakshatra.
Hope this helps. Please post any comment or query you may have.
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer