The 25th Nakshatra, i.e. Purva-Bhadrapada Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Purva-Bhadrapada Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Purva-Bhadrapada Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – Purva Bhadrapada Nakshatra falls within 20.00 degree of Aquarius to 3.20 degree of Pisces. So, Purva-Bhadrapada spreads from Aquarius to Pisces. So, Purva-Bhadrapada will have the traits and characteristics of both signs.
Name and its meaning – Purva means Previous of Former, Bhadra means Good or Auspicious and Pada means Feet. So, Purva-Bhadrapada literally means the Former/Initial Lucky Feet or Former/Initial Auspicious Feet. As we go through this article, we will know the meaning of these words.
Representation – Purva-Bhadrapada is represented by "Front Part of the Funeral Pyre". It is also represented by "A double-faced person".
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Purva-Bhadrapada Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 18th, 21st, 24th, 37th, 39th, 45th, 61st, 63rd to 65th, 69th and 87th year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – Main Deity of Purva-Bhadrapada is Aja-Ekpada, which again means one footed Goat. Nakshatra lord is Jupiter. Sign lord are Saturn-Rahu in Aquarius portion and Jupiter in Pisces portion.
Mythological Story – As we are in the final portion of Nakshatra scheme and dealing with last 3 nakshatra, things connected with these nakshatras are spiritual and more connected with liberation rather than mythological texts. We can see that symbol of "Front Part of Funeral Pyre" and A Goat, which is commonly used for Sacrificial Rites, are very much indicative of liberation path. So, any story related with final liberation of soul can be connected with this nakshatra. .
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Purva-Bhadrapada Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Purva-Bhadrapada Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- This is a nakshatra which represents the 1st glimpse of liberation or enlightenment. Like, if someone is regularly into meditation then one day suddenly he sees a golden light over the forehead (it is my experience, not necessary that everyone will see the same) and he may feel that he got enlightened or liberated but he is not. This is just the 1st glimpse of ultimate truth and we need to continue our journey forward to reach liberation.
- That's why its name means the Former or Initial Auspicious Feet. We can say that this nakshatra initiates the process of liberation. This is also why, the symbol of One Footed Goat represents the 1st step towards liberation.
- But the biggest challenge here remains that person should not consider the 1st step as the final step. He should not treat himself already enlightened or liberated just because of initial glimpse and must continue his spiritual pursuits till the ultimate truth is realized. Hence, we can see that this nakshatra is more about spiritual pursuits or liberation process.
- Now, the process of liberation or enlightenment is never an easy one. It requires us to leave all our negative traits with awareness. This is kind of process of destruction of ego, egoistic desires and pursuits, hence Purva-Bhadrapada is also connected with a destruction process of all negative human traits like deceit, cheating and violence etc. So in a way, this nakshatra is actually the path of purification of soul.
- Another symbol of Front Part of Funeral Pyre is also representation of initial steps towards liberation and leaving the material side of life.
- A Double Faced Person represents the duality of nature in almost everything in life. If we see then there is duality in all aspects of life. Sadness-Happiness, Life-Death and Poverty-Prosperity etc. Again, Bliss is the only word for which there is no opposite. Bliss is again the result of liberation.
- Now, some other representations. As it is ruled by Jupiter, a natural trait of guiding, teaching and counselling can be seen with this nakshatra. But they can be a better counselor in spiritual realm, specially in Pisces portion of Nakshatra.
- The symbol of Double Faced Person also makes it a kind of malefic nakshatra as it can represent a cheat or trickster. Someone who is presenting himself as Spiritual Guru but in reality, he can be totally opposite.
- Overall, this nakshatra is related with spiritual pursuits, process of liberation and serving humanity through spirituality or knowledge. The best results of this nakshatra can only be seen when person is spiritually inclined and regular in practices like meditation.
Conclusion – So, this is some basic information and interpretation of Purva-Bhadrapada Nakshatra.
Hope this helps. Please post any comment or query you may have.
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer