The 20th Nakshatra, i.e. Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra falls within 13.20 degree of Sagittarius to 26.40 degree of Sagittarius. So again, Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra falls totally into Sagittarius sign.
Name and its meaning – Purva-Ashadha means "The Former Invincible One" or "The Former Unconquered" or "The Undefeated".
Representation – Purva-Ashadha is represented by "A Hand Held Fan". Its alternate representation is "Winnowing Basket".
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 8th, 12th, 16th, 24th, 30th, 64th, 72nd, 77th & 88th year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – Deity of Purva-Ashadha is Apah or Apas, the Goddess of Water or Ocean. Purva-Ashadha's lord is Venus. Sign lord is Jupiter.
Mythological Story – Purva-Ashadha can be linked back to the story of churning of celestial ocean by Demons & Gods from where the poison and nectar of Immortality. Purva-Ashadha can be related with actual process of churning and we will know why?
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- Now again, understand Nakshatra in a series. Now, we are at the next stage after Moola Nakshatra where we uprooted something. After uprooting, we need to plant new seeds for a new beginning. That is the stage of Purva-Ashadha as we get ready for new beginnings in life after letting go of past bad experiences.
- Now, when we plant something new, we have to water it and take care of it. That's why, Apas becomes the rules of Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra.
- This is where Purva-Ashadha nakshatra represents care we provide to others or hopes we have towards others. Understand it like this that when you are taking care of someone or something then it is because of a hope attached with that person or thing that in future that person or thing will do good to us. Like, even if parents take care of child and look after them, it is with hope that child will return the favor at some point of time. Hence, Purva-Ashadha is nakshatra of very optimistic people and that's also why, this nakshatra has symbol of The Hand-Held Fan as we take care or nourish others through fanning them.
- This is where story of churning of Ocean is relevant as Gods and Demons both came together to put best effort in churning in hope of getting the nectar of immortality in return.
- As it falls in the middle of Sagittarius sign, Purva-Ashadha is where the basic nature of Sagittarius gets completely manifested. It means that this is nakshatra of higher education and knowledge.
- Another reason why it is seen as nakshatra of higher education is again that it comes after Moola. In Moola, we go through all the research activities and collect all the information. Now in Purva Ashadha, we segregate useful information from useless one for our higher studies. That's why, its alternate symbol of Winnowing Basket. Winnowing Basket is used in rural part of India to remove Grain from Chaff. So again, an indication that these people can be good at rationalization and keeping the one that is useful and letting go the one that is not serving any purpose any more. As such, they can be very good at any higher education related with Analysis.
- They are more oriented towards education and can be seen as teachers, counselors or guides. They may not be too interested in recognition or authority.
- As Venus rules the Purva-Ashadha nakshatra, all qualities of Venus can be seen there plus they can be interested in financial side of education. As Venus' highest representation is Service or Devotion, they can serve humanity with their higher education.
- Overall, Purva-Ashadha is nakshatra totally dedicated to higher education and nurturing/caring/getting prepared for the bigger challenges in life which we will face in Uttara Ashadha.
Conclusion – So, this is some basic information and interpretation of Purva-Ashadha Nakshatra.
Hope this helps. Please post any comment or query you may have.
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/astrovishalsaxena/ .
Twitter Page - https://twitter.com/astrovsaxena .