So, we come to next big thing of horoscope, i.e. Degrees. As I said, every house or zodiac sign is 30 degrees long. At the time of our birth, every planet was in some house or zodiac sign. Also, it was at some degrees. So, best example could be, Sun enters Aries zodiac sign on 14th April every year (Tamil New Year). As I told earlier, Sun completes its transit in one zodiac sign in 1 month (30 days) time. So, Sun will complete 30 degrees long zodiac sign in 30 days time. That means, it will cover 1 degree per day. So, if someone takes birth on 19th April, Sun will be in Aries at 5 degrees. Right? 5 days since 14th April = 5 degrees travelled. So, this person will have Sun at 5 degrees in horoscope. Likewise, other planets will be at some number of degrees at some zodiac sign.
So, if we see the first picture, just like the planets, 1st of all Ascendant Sign will have its degrees. So, it is a Capricorn Ascendant Chart with 10 number written in 1st house with Ascendant degrees at 3.49. Likewise, Mars is at 9.17* in Capricorn, Mercury is at 12.39* in Capricorn, Jupiter is at 3.33* in Aries, Ketu is at 27.08* in Gemini, Saturn is at 4.54* in Cancer (please note that Saturn is also Retrograde in this chart as R symbol is made with Sa - Saturn), Moon is at 9.09* in Leo, Venus is at 3.05* in Sagittarius, Rahu is at 27.08* in Sagittarius and Sun is at 28.36* in Sagittarius.
Second picture shows another way (tabular form) of looking at planets in different signs and at different degrees. In this table also, D represents direct moving planets, R represents retrograde planets and C represents Combust planets (something which we will soon cover in near future posts).
So, what is the importance of degrees in understanding our horoscope? Here it is -
1. At 0 degree - If a planet is at 0 degree at the time person was born, then actually it means it just entered that particular sign at the exact moment of birth. Planets at 0* have 0 power. Lifelong? Certainly not. These planets gain strength through time and start making their impact on native's life after 30 years of age.
2. Between 0* to 1* - If a planet is placed between these degrees, it is called infant. This again is a powerless state of planet and gives results after 30-32 years.
3. Between 1* to 5* - It is called as young or teenager stage of a planet. Planets at these degrees are alive and kicking.
4. Between 6* to 17* - It is known as Adult stage of a planet. Ready to take up the challenges and perform at best of abilities.
5. Between 18* to 25* - It is Mature stage of a planet. They are much wiser now. These planets make us think like a matured person.
6. Between 26 to 29.99* - These are old planets. Are they useless? Certainly not. Actually, it is great to have all the malefic planets (Saturn, Rahu, Ketu, Mars) either at 0* to 1* or at 26* to 29.99*, because they lose their strength of giving malefic results.
In predictions, degrees play an important role as degrees effect the conjunction and aspects of planets (again, we are going to cover all these one by one).
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/astrovishalsaxena/ .
Twitter Page - https://twitter.com/astrovsaxena .