Here we start with the first nakshatra, i.e. Ashwini Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Ashwini Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Ashwini Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – As Ashwini Nakshatra is the 1st nakshatra, it is the very first portion of very first sign Aries. We can say that everything starts with Ashwini as Aries also starts with Ashwini Nakshatra. Ashwini Nakshatra is between 0 degree to 13.20 degree of Aries.
Name and its meaning – The word Ashwini has its root in the word “Ashw” which means Horse. As Ashw means Horse, Ashwini can mean a female horse or someone who is born of a female horse. With mythological story section, we will know why this name was given to this nakshatra.
Representation – One of the reasons behind giving representations to a nakshatra is that when ancient astrologers saw these stars in a group, they saw that stars are making some definite shape. With Ashwini Nakshatra, it was a shape of Horse-Head. Hence, it is represented by a Horse-Head or with twin horses.
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Ashwini Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, 20th, 24th, 28th, 30th and 46th year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – Deity of Ashwini Nakshatra is Ashwini Kumars, the twin celestial horsemen. They are known as metaphysical healers. Lord of Ashwini Nakshatra is Ketu. As it is part of Aries sign which is ruled by Mars is also important. So, if a planet is placed in Ashwini Nakshatra then we need to look at position of both Ketu & Mars to interpret it.
Mythological Story – Very short version of the story as stated in ancient texts, the Sun-God had wife named Sandhya (Sanjnya). She was unable to cope-up with the heat and fire of Sun. So, she created her mirror image (twin-sister) Chhaya to replace herself and went away from Sun-God. When Sun-God realized it and he went after Sandhya to find her, she took the form of a Mare to escape. Seeing this, Sun-God took the form of a Horse and they made Horse-Love at that time. Ashwini Kumars were thus born as twin horsemen who are deity of this nakshatra. From this story, we get lots of indications about Ashwini Nakshatra which we will discuss later in article.
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Ashwini Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Ashwini Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- As it is the 1st nakshatra, it represents starts, initiations and beginnings.
- As it is 1st nakshatra and part of 1st sign Aries, these people are very competitive and they always want to come 1st in whatever they do. Competitiveness is the most common theme seen for this nakshatra. This is why Sun is exalted at 10 degree Aries as Sun is always the 1st planet, highest authority and source of everything.
- As they are competitive and as this nakshatra is represented by Horses, they are super-active or even impulsive. It will be rare to see them sitting idle. Aries nature of being active gets its manifestation through Ashwini Nakshatra.
- As it is ruled by Ketu which represents illusion, there is a possibility of them living their some part of life under illusion or they can have illusion related with planet sitting in this nakshatra. They can even spread illusion on others.
- This representation of illusion gets further strength from the mythological story of Ashwini Nakshatra where Sun remained under illusion about his wife but that story also shows that illusion is only temporary and not for whole life.
- If relationship oriented planets are sitting in Ashwini then it shows a kind of illusion/cheating in relation or possibility of two partners, based on same story.
- As Ashwini Kumars are Metaphysical Healers, this nakshatra can take a person towards healing activity either physical, metaphysical or spiritual.
- If they go into field of Medicine, they can be a Veterinarian due to involvement of Animals in story and name itself.
- Even otherwise, they can have special affection towards Animals.
- As Ashwini's lord Ketu is all about our past life deeds, any planet in this nakshatra can show that person some karma to pay-off from past life to the people related with that planet. For ex - Sun for Father, Moon for Mother etc.
- If parenting related planets are there in Ashwini like Sun or Moon, it can give a possibility of having twin children.
- As Sex is important part of the story here, this nakshatra can make person quite sexual.