The 6th Nakshatra, i.e. Ardra Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Ardra Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Ardra Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – Ardra Nakshatra falls within 6.40 degree of Gemini to 20 degree of Gemini. So, the whole nakshatra is within Gemini sign and will keep Gemini energy & significance.
Name and its meaning – The word Ardra means "The Moist One". Its other meanings are Fresh, Green and The Teardrop etc. Destructive form of Lord Shiva is named as Rudra and it is important character of this nakshatra. Now, if we see closely then if you strike-off "U" from "Rudra", what is left is "Rdra".
Representation - Its main symbol is Diamond. Although, it is also represented by a Teardrop.
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Ardra Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 15th, 18th, 24th, 37th, 42nd and 61st year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – The main presiding deity of Ardra Nakshatra is Rudra. Rudra is destructive form of Lord Shiva. Ardra's lord is Rahu. Gemini's lord is Mercury.
Mythological Story – So, we again resume the story where we left it in Mrigshira Nakshatra. In Mrigshira, Lord Brahma takes the form of Deer to stealthily chase Rohini. Then story goes that all the Gods approach Lord Shiva to prevent this immoral act of incest by Brahma to Rohini. Then Lord Shiva took his destructive incarnation of Rudra and all the Gods combined their powers to bestow it on Rudra in form of Weapon/Arrow. Then Rudra shot the arrow at Brahma and cut one of his heads off. By doing this, Rudra prevented the immoral act of incest by Brahma on Rohini.
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Ardra Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Ardra Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- This is 1st of the real malefic nakshatra which represents negative events, changes, accidents and transformative events in life.
- As it represents all the transformative & troublesome events of life, it is represented by a Teardrop.
- Its another representation Diamond signifies that only after going through troubles and havoc in life, we realize our true potential like a Diamond is formed only in the heat and depths of Coal-Mine.
- This nakshatra represents all kinds of turmoils, either physical or emotional.
- Having Moon in Ardra Nakshatra can be really troublesome as mind or mother will be impacted by continuous events of major changes and emotional turmoil. As always, meditation is the only way out.
- This nakshatra can also bring problems of nightmares to people where a person is unable to sleep peacefully due to nightmares.
- It can represent weapons and destructive events like War or major accidents.
- It also represents storms, cyclones and other natural disasters.
Now, some positive things :)
- Ardra Nakshatra can make someone very much interested in Archery due to story of Rudra shooting Arrow at Brahma.
- As it is ruled by Rahu and is part of Gemini sign which represents travelling, this nakshatra can help someone in reaching foreign lands.
- As Rahu also represents inventions, this nakshatra can help someone in scientific and technological inventions. It also represents cuts and surgeries.
Conclusion – So, this is some basic information and interpretation of Ardra Nakshatra.
Hope this helps. Please post any comment or query you may have.
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer