The 23rd Nakshatra, i.e. Dhanishtha Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Dhanishtha Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Dhanishtha Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – Dhanishtha Nakshatra falls within 23.20 degree of Capricorn to 6.40 degree of Aquarius. So, Dhanishtha spreads from Capricorn to Aquarius signs. Also, it is equidistant in both the signs, i.e. 6.40 degree in Capricorn sign and 6.40 degree in Aquarius sign. So, it will have equal impact of both the signs.
Name and its meaning – To know the meaning of Dhanishtha, we just need to split the word in two parts, i.e. Dhan + Ishtha. It means Desire of Wealth. So, literal meaning of Dhanishtha is “The Wealthiest” or “The Most Beneficient”. So, this nakshatra is clearly connected with materialism. Alternate name of Dhanishtha is Sarvishtha which I would translate as “The one whose all desires are fulfilled”.
Representation – Dhanishtha is most commonly represented by Musical Instruments like Drums, Damru of Lord Shiva and Flute.
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Dhanishtha Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 27th, 36th, 40th, 39th and 45th year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – Deity of Dhanishtha is 8 Vasus, i.e. Apa, Dhruv, Dhar, Anil, Som, Anal, Pratyush & Prabhas. Nakshatra lord is Mars. Sign lord is Saturn in Capricorn Portion and Saturn-Rahu in Aquarius Portion.
Mythological Story – For mythological story, we have to go into one of the less known stories of Mahabharat. It is when 8 Vasus saw a Divine Cow in the forest and eldest among them planned to steal it. Others accompanied him in executing the plan. But that Divine Cow was of Sage Vashishtha who came to know about stealing immediately through his meditative powers. Sage Vashishtha cursed all the 8 Vasus to live human life on Earth. When 8 Vasus pleaded for forgiveness, Sage Vashishtha modified the curse that 7 of them will be relieved of Human Life as soon as they take birth but the eldest one who planned the stealing would have to live the whole curse till he finally gets liberation. River Ganga promised 8 Vasus to give birth after marriage with King Shantanu and liberate 7 of them by flowing in Ganga itself. The eldest of Vasus stayed alive as Dev-Vrat or Bhishma.
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Dhanishtha Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Dhanishtha Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- As each of 8 vasu represents some characteristics and traits, those traits can be linked with Dhanishtha people too.
- Like, Apa represents music talent, confidence or over confidence, braveness and aggressiveness.
- Dhruv represents trustworthiness and perseverance.
- Dhar represents Wisdom, Charitable Nature and communications.
- Anil represents business ability, inspired and resourcefulness.
- Anal represents rationalisation, intelligence and energy.
- Pratyush represents happiness and joy.
- Prabhas represents well natured and humorous nature.
- Som represents gentle nature and sensitivity.
- As Dhanishtha is all about Materialistic Desires and Abundance, these representations can be easily understood.
- These people can be financially very well off or they can be working in financial field of work.
- They can also be seen as very confident and ambitious people.
- Representation of musical instruments clearly links them with talents in music and dance. Many a times it is seen that person with Dhanishtha Nakshatra strong in chart is actually playing Drums or Flutes only. Mars ruler ship will also make them interested in Sports and any physical activity.
- They can be very good at mingling with people especially in Aquarius portion of Nakshatra.
- As every good is attached with something bad, the mythological story and its connection with legendary character of Bhishma makes it a nakshatra of Celibacy or poor married life because Bhishma lived a life of celebate.
- Specially, if relationship oriented planets are in Dhanishtha Nakshatra or planets in Dhanishtha fall in 5th house or 7th house, like for Virgo ascendant or Cancer ascendant people then it leads to lots of relationship issues.
Conclusion – So, this is some basic information and interpretation of Dhanishtha Nakshatra.
Hope this helps. Please post any comment or query you may have.